Memorial Day Youth Essay Contest
Cox-Gifford Seawinds Community Outreach, a program of Cox-Gifford Seawinds Funeral Home, will host an inaugural Memorial Day Youth Essay Contest. Entry deadline for this essay contest is April 30, 2017.
Open to all Indian River County area middle and high school students, contest entries must be presented in a personal essay format with 500 to 525 words on the true meaning of Memorial Day. Six winners of this contest will share cash prizes totaling $1,600!
Final judging and selection of winners will be made by a committee selected by Cox-Gifford Seawinds Community Outreach. Decision of judges are final. Results will be announced May 29, 2017 at the Essay Contest Awards Ceremony at Cox-Gifford Seawinds Funeral Home. Winning essays will be featured on the Cox-Gifford Seawinds Funeral Home's website, social media pages, and other related print and electronic media.
1. Eligibility: Entrants must be middle or high school students enrolled in the Indian River County School District. Entries from private, charter and home schools will also be accepted.
2. Format: Entries must be presented in the format of a Personal Essay, between 500-525 words, using a double-spaced 12-point font and must include a bibliography (not included in the word count).
3. Topic: “The True Meaning of Memorial Day”. Students are encouraged to discuss the essay theme with teachers, parents and friends. The essay should be positive and clearly focused on the theme. Teachers and parents may check essays, but the content of the essay must be that of the student.
4. Research: Research is essential in creating a quality essay. Please cite library resources, Web URLs with access dates, and personal interviews.
5. Bibliography: The bibliography must cite at least two references. Entries that do not include a bibliography will be disqualified.
6. Essay Entries: Must be submitted and received between April 1 and April 30, 2017. Entries cannot be acknowledged or returned, and they become the property of Cox-Gifford Seawinds Funeral Home & Crematory. Essay entries cannot be accepted through email. Essays should be mailed to: Cox-Gifford Seawinds Funeral Home & Crematory, ATTN: Community Outreach Coordinator Diane Saunier, 1950 20th Street, Vero Beach, FL 32960. Entries must be accompanied by a 3x5 index card, attached but not stapled to essay containing the following information: contestant’s name, mailing address, phone number, name of school, grade level (ex: 8th grade; 10th grade), student ID number, and name of parent/guardian who will accompany contestant at the May 29, 2017 Essay Contest Awards Ceremony.
7. Evaluation Process: Winning essays will be selected on the following basis:
>25 points—Originality and creativity
>25 points—Compliance with the assigned topic
>20 points—Factual accuracy
>15 points—Grammar and organization of content
>15 points—Scope of research
8. Awards: $500 will be awarded to one each middle and high school first place winner; $200 will be awarded to one each first place runner-up at middle and high school levels and $100 will be awarded to one each second place runner-up at middle and high school levels. Each winner and his/her parent/guardian must be present to receive their prize. Winners will be notified prior to the May 29 Essay Contest Awards Ceremony.